View other files from this member
- Submitted: Aug 23 2015 09:05 PM
- Last Updated: Mar 06 2016 03:35 PM
- File Size: 39.72KB
- Views: 23337
- Downloads: 2,958
Download Instance Along Curve 1.1.018 Votes
maya instancing curve nurbs plugin
Maya API plugin developed in Python that tries to simplify the process of instancing various objects along a curve. The plugin essentially creates a new dependency graph node called instanceAlongCurveLocator, which handles all the necessary logic. It also includes a node creation command and an Attribute Editor template for a very familiar and user friendly interface.
New version demo video: Patch Video
Difference with other approaches
Because it is a DG node that is recomputed each time Maya considers necessary, there is no need to execute manual scripts or hacks or custom windows to update the instances. Also, it is very efficient in updating each instance, because every relevant instance attribute is connected to the locator, and only recomputes what is needed.
However, Maya makes instancing objects from a plugin node very difficult, so there are some known limitations.
More info at https://github.com/m...tanceAlongCurve Current Version: 1.1.0 (v1.1.0) NEW features
- Added rotation manipulators, with options to reset both positions and angles
- Added translate, rotate and scale offsets, both local and global
- Instantiates objects based on their pivots
- Added curve start and end values
- Added a ramp repeat value
- Added UI annotations
- Reworked core logic, orientation axis easier to handle/understand
- Objects now preserve their initial rotation
- Copy input transform now updating correctly
- Distance mode now respects distance
- It's a dependency graph node, so it works gracefully with the Maya environment.
- Instance an object by count or by distance between instances.
- Various rotation modes, including chain mode.
- Curve distance offset, useful for tank treads.
- Customize the instances transformation by ramps evaluated in curve parameter space.
- Customize the ramps' offset with keys or expressions for animations.
- Customize how instances look in viewport.
- Randomize instances transformations.
- User friendly, highly flexible.
- Manually manipulate rotations, to fix complicated situations
- Set global&local offsets for translation, rotation and scale
- Customize which part of the curve is going to be instantiated
- Customize how many times ramps are going to be repeated over the curve
Save instanceAlongCurve.py under MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH
- (Linux) $HOME/maya/plug-ins
- (Mac OS X) $HOME/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/plug-ins
- (Windows) \Users\<username>\Documents\maya\plug-ins
To use the plugin, select a curve first and the shape you want to instance and go to Edit->Instance Along Curve. You can save it as a Shelf Button if you want.
- When batch rendering, if the node has complex logic depending on time, it may be necessary to bake the node and its children. In some renderers, the node is not being evaluated each frame.
- When the instancing mode is by distance, any change on the curve length is not immediatly reflected until a change on the instancing attributes is made.
What's New in Version 1.1.0 (See full changelog)
- ### 1.1.0
- #### New Features
- * Added rotation manipulators, with options to reset both positions and angles
- * Added translate, rotate and scale offsets, both local and global
- * Instantiates objects based on their pivots
- * Added curve start and end values
- * Added a ramp repeat value
- * Added UI annotations
- #### Changes
- * Reworked core logic, orientation axis easier to handle/understand
- * Objects now preserve their initial rotation and pivots
- #### Fixes
- * Copy input transform now updating correctly
- * Distance mode now respects distance
- * Various other performance issues, edge cases, etc.
- ### 1.0.3
- - Added distance offset, contributed by MirageYM
- - Fixed normalization of ramps axes
- Compatibility issues: ramp amplitudes may need to be adjusted.
- ### 1.0.2
- - Fixed plugin not working with curves created with the EP curve tool
- ### 1.0.1
- - Rotation ramp now uses degrees, not radians
- - Fixed random being dependent on the ramp amplitude; now it is not
- - Fixed scale and position ramp incorrectly normalizing axis vector
- 73 Total Files
- 77 Total Categories
- 33 Total Authors
- 157,670 Total Downloads
- Smart Search Latest File
- Raouf Bessghaier Latest Submitter
18 user(s) are online (in the past 60 minutes)
1 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users