•  

Photo

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - CGI episode. 2D to CGI conversion

Ninja Turtles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Shredder565

Shredder565

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

I started learning CGI with 3D max 2.5 in 1999.  Over the years I've also tried Animation Master and SoftImage.  I find I am most product with SofImage. 

In  2010 I needed to expand. And with the announcment of the new Nick Turtles Show, I decided to do just that. Being the first person to model Turtles in CGI, most likely, it was time to create my own animated episode.  Mostly as an endurance test, but also as a learning experience.

The first Introduction was in 2010. I spent two months on it, but really didn't take my time crafting shots.  It was more a 'how tough could this be' type of thing.  When it was done, I took a few months break, and tried again in 2011.  The second intro came out MUCH better.  But I knew it could look even nicer.  When I finished the full episode, I now had time to go back and REALLY take my time to get things looking right. below is the result.

As for the episode itself: I started in OCtober 2011, and ended January 2013.  A little over a year and two months.  363 shots.  All done in program. All done by one person. Camera keying, Animation, Model creation, almost 350 custom backgrounds, rigging....  I rushed the first half, and spent more time on the detail at about the 10:00 mark, or halfway in. Now that it's all done, and the Introduction to the show is finished for a third and final time, it's time to go back and fix it so it looks as polished as my current skill level can make it.

Keep in mind I am NOT formally trained.  I am learning as I go along.  I would LOVE critiques by pro's who work at Dreamworks, Pixar, etc to see if how I do things meshes up with how they do things..

thanks for reading :)