Character FX Supervisor needed – Oriental DreamWorks (Shanghai)
The Character FX Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the pipeline and shot production for feathers, fur, hair, finaling and clothing simulation. In addition, will develop/oversee any new technology required to meet the specific creative and technical needs of a show as assigned by the Digital FX Supervisor and Production Management.
· Work closely with the Head of Character Animation, Production Designer, Digital FX Supervisor and other department heads to maintain the integrity of the Character Design, Animation and Look of Film, as related to Character FX.
· Provide input towards the vision of the future direction of technology in maintaining a world-class pipeline.
· Approve department deliverables.
· Develop and manage workflow processes and staff.
· Identify potential exposures to plan. Follow through on and reevaluate plan accordingly.
· Lead department meetings, manages expectations and provides communications during meetings.
· Troubleshoot creative/technical issues as they arise. Provide hands-on assistance to the Character FX Animators.
· Present Character FX elements in daily walkthroughs to Digital FX Supervisor in dailies. Ensure creative direction from VFX Supervisor and Directors to the crew are heard and clarified.
· In collaboration with the Production Supervisor, ensure on time delivery of Character FX elements within established production schedule. If creative appetite is too large, then need to present ideas and suggest creative alternatives. Consistently look for a more efficient way of doing a character effect (i.e. reuse of a character effect).
· Responsible for creating the necessary look as designed by the Director(s), VFX/DFX Supervisor, and Production Designer(s) within budget parameters for Character FX.
· Bid effects in each sequence. Collaborate with Production Supervisor regarding progress and setbacks of Character FX Animators as it relates to the original effects bid. Appropriately elevate concerns to VFX Supervisor and Prod Mgr.
· State potential costs or schedule implications when receiving comments on character effect elements relative to delivery dates.
· Facilitate interdepartmental communication, dependencies, and technical problem solving related to FX production. Anticipate production problems. Collaborate with other department peers to identify solutions to production issues.
· Perform daily one-on-one rounds with Character FX Animators: critique work and assist with technical problem solving, and determine when character effects are ready for review with Digital FX Supervisor.
· Work with TDs, R&D, Production Engineering and Production Management to improve and evolve the production pipeline and methodologies.
· Communicate to R&D, Production Engineering or VFX Supervisor requests for new tools and improvements to existing tools.
· Participate in technology meetings and other meeting as required to help evolve the toolset towards studio objectives.
· Work closely with the Production Supervisors in the management of the department and to create the schedule and ensure quotas/deadlines are met for both shots and sequences.
· Work with the Production Supervisor on casting shots/assignments to Character FX Animators.
· Responsible for improving the performance of artists on the team. Mentor artists to provide guidance, experience and insight. Involved in trying to resolve performance related issues.
· Responsible with Production Supervisor for maintaining crew morale. Foster good working atmosphere and ethics.
· Deliver reviews with Production Supervisor to crew members; help manage career growth of staff; provide recommendations for promotions.
· Work with management in the casting and staffing of talent on the show.
· Help with recruiting and perform interviews. Ensure that Character FX new hires are provided the necessary training.
· Facilitate meetings with artists to keep the crew informed on show changes and requirements.
· Ensure open lines of communication with other departments and department heads.
● 8+ years of experience including production experience in feature film animation
● Strong working knowledge of Maya, Houdini, C++ and Python
● Proven Leadership experience
● Experience building new pipelines.
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Please email your resume and any other supporting materials to email@example.com if you are interested in this position. Thank you.
Character FX Supervisor needed–Oriental DreamWorks (Shanghai), Oriental DreamWorks, 3d jobs, Animation jobs, DreamWorks, Oriental DreamWorks Animation, hiring, job, jobs, Recruiting, Recruitment, vfx jobs, video game jobs, Visual Effects Jobs, Animator jobs, Animator, 3d animator jobs, 3D Animator, 3d animation job, Oriental DreamWorks jobs, Oriental DreamWorks job, Oriental DreamWorks career