Industrial Light & Magic Recruiting Digital Production Supervisor, Layout / Matchmove Artist & Shader writer
Digital Production Supervisor
Location: Letterman Digital Arts Center
The ADG Digital Production Supervisor is responsible for determining, modifying and maintaining the most effective and efficient technical approach and workflow for the entire team’s digital production pipeline including CG, editorial, asset authoring and Mocap to allow for the production of film quality imagery while absolutely respecting the real time authoring environment of a modern game engine.
• Works with the Show Key Creatives to anticipate the productions challenges and finds efficient, effective and realistic solutions. Always thinking of ways to simplify, optimize and streamline complicated tasks to produce outstanding visuals at both runtime frame rates as well as offline.
o Guides and partners with a team of Department Leads to evaluate the technical approaches for the production and determine the optimal course to achieve the director and Key Creative’s vision. Investigates and proposes multiple approaches and understands their respective merits or limitations.
o Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the tools and procedures of the entire CG pipeline and assigns work to the appropriate discipline or pipeline to ensure efficient use of resources and optimize workflow.
o Is cognizant of the shows budget and driven to achieve the budgetary as well as creative goals. Gives accurate bids and estimates and notifies production if any budget impacts may occur
o Presents recommendations for technical approach including any R&D development or 3rd party software needs.
o Identifies and utilizes tools and techniques which significantly improve productivity and the quality of product. Avoids reinvention of the wheel or duplication of effort.
• Generate production plans for “Product 1.0” of new media experiences ranging from location based interactive experiences to linear content render offline through new and sometimes experimental render pathways.
o Manage internal and external crews and technology partners to superior results against product 1.0 production plans.
o Evaluating and investigating new vendors, new software packages and new techniques and help the leadership team manage those relationships for maximum impact.
• Develop and deliver leading edge techniques and workflows that include but are not limited to the following:
o Optimal visual quality across real time, non-real time and traditional software rendering pipelines.
o Techniques and workflows tailored to Characters (including hair, cloth, skin and eyes), Particle effects, Rigid Body Simulations, Environments and hard surface assets.
o Suggestions for Rendering pathway alternatives, options, optimizations targeting highest levels of visual fidelity while maintaining interactive frame rates.
o Color space and finishing pipelines the cover the delivery of final frames and feature film quality as well as the final polish of visual environments on a shipping AAA title.
o Running benchmark tests and establishing new technical budgets.
o Geometric manufacturing methodology to ensure asset longevity.
o Texturing and shading portability across software packages and facilities.
o Asset management to ensure the highest possible opportunity for asset reuse.
o Defining lookdev workflows that ensure consistent look of asset across rendering pipelines.
o Defining and standardizing publishing techniques to allow for the derivation of pipeline specific assets from a high res canonical source asset.
• Drive visual quality, pipeline consistency and technical excellence in asset authoring, lighting and rendering.
• Create documentation and tutorials relating to technical issues to educate department subordinates as well as collaborators from other disciplines.
• Work with programming and tools teams to develop tools/scripts/plug-ins to streamline art processes.
• Work with other depts. to establish technical cross dependencies for projects.
• Comfortable and proficient in outsourcing pipelines. Must be able and willing to help work with outsourcers to train them in new working methodologies when necessary.
• Responsible for managing a growing a team and its interaction with other departments
• Assist in sourcing, interviewing, and hiring of new candidates as the team grows.
• Participate in pre-production planning to determine and address technical design requirements and issues.
• Participate in bidding and scheduling meetings for both development and production tasks as necessary.
• Responsible for generating, monitoring, and updating schedules, deliverables and due dates for teams targets.
• Responsible for guiding team to on-time delivery of products and projects in collaboration with leads group.
• Responsible for driving post mortem discussion after delivery and converting feedback to actionable backlog items and course correcting future development based on production learnings.
• Effectively draws upon knowledge and experience with artists to participate in and inform crewing decisions. Delegates work where appropriate to achieve timely delivery of assignments. Prioritizes tasks effectively and cross utilizes digital artist skills to efficiently and effectively complete the work.
• Addresses show-specific training needs
• Also demonstrates strong management skills and provides continual timely and effective feedback to CG artists during the show. Delivers and accepts constructive feedback with a positive attitude, and in an objective, accurate, respectful, and non-judgmental manner.
• Ensures constant flow of communication so that the crew has the information needed to do their jobs efficiently. Demonstrates creative problem solving and efficient trouble shooting skills. Is available to answer questions when needed and demonstrates patience in teaching. Develops meeting agendas for regularly scheduled production meetings, calling upon appropriate personnel to attend.
• Work with Various departments to ensure consistent manufacturing techniques for digital assets and lighting techniques.
• Set up and light scenes, sequence or shots as necessary.
• Solve technical production issues, especially those related to lighting and rendering.
• Script utilities/tools/plug-ins in various software packages.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics and a minimum of 10 years post production experience including a minimum of 4 years experience serving as a Supervisor.
• Displays exceptional developmental skills along with the talent and desire to continually restructure and enhance the production pipeline.
• Expert knowledge of Windows Operating System and shell scripts and working knowledge of applicable software platforms.
• Must be a self starter with the proven ability to initiate and complete new projects. Strong organizational and communication skills.
• Must have the ability to juggle multiple projects, work with diverse personalities and work within strict deadlines.
Layout / Matchmove Artist
Company: Industrial Light & Magic Singapore
Matchmoving is the replication of the real set, camera and camera move within the computer for later use by animators and technical directors. Each shot in which 3D computer graphics are to be added begins with a matchmove. In the CG Layout process, Camera Matchmoves and original CG camera moves are integrated to create the framework of each Sequence. Often this includes manipulating both 2d and 3d elements, while maintaining accurate camera perspective. In some cases a sequence might be entirely Computer Generated with no live action background elements.
Converts background plates to various formats to use with specific software to create digital motion files that match the plate photography. This includes animating any live action character or relative object in the scene.
Establish character blocking, camera positioning and animate camera movement.
Provide technical set-up of shots for downstream production departments.
Generate 2D Compositing elements, while maintaining the accuracy of camera perspective.
Models the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for Animators and Technical Directors.
Lights, renders and composites files with the background to judge the move.
Originate entirely CG camera animation
Works with the CG Supervisor and Project Manager when applicable to estimate project schedules in terms of matchmove staffing needs and makes recommendations in the adjustments to the schedules as necessary.
Team acts as a central hub for all shot preparation to ensure continuity and camera accuracy in CG Elements
Under the direction of the project Supervisors, the Match mover will setup the technical and aesthetic approaches of the matchmove work for a shot, sequence, or even an entire aspect of a show.
Based on project size, and the nature of the work, the Matchmover may be asked to perform Lead Matchmove duties including, providing leadership, guidance and direction to the matchmove team.
Maintains an expert level of knowledge about current developments in matchmove tools for computer graphics, especially in areas that relate to the film industry.
Ability to reproduce exact camera moves within a computer environment.
Understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives.
Typically has experience as an artist, animator or camera operator.
Advanced knowledge of UNIX, Softimage, Maya and/or XSI.
Must have a willingness to learn new tools, proven ability to be detail-oriented and to work efficiently within a production environment.
Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines.
Good written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills.
Experience in gathering information on location for Matchmovers.
The Lighting Tools R&D Engineer develops software systems and techniques for creating visual effects, emphasizing lighting and rendering. The duties are a mix of building new systems, maintaining current systems, and supporting artists in executing production tasks.
Primarily responsible for the development of software tools for lighting under the guidance of a development lead.
Works directly with artists to solve lighting and rendering challenges.
Serves as a knowledge resource for software and/or systems used in production at ILM. This includes end user support of alpha and beta release cycles.
Coordinates closely with Team Members in all locations on project priorities and implementation details
Expected to participate in discussions surrounding future applications and/or systems regarding their appropriateness of solution.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Scientific discipline, advanced degree preferred.
2-4 years of experience in the computer graphics field.
In-depth knowledge and demonstrated experience in 3d graphics tools and
Experience designing and implementing interactive artist tools.
Experience with lighting, rendering, and shading required.
Experience with CG production preferred.
Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long-term quality.
Experience with C++ required
Experience with Python a plus
Apply here:- https://www.lucasfilm.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=6003&CurrentPage=1
Industrial Light & Magic Recruiting Digital Production Supervisor, Layout / Matchmove Artist & Shader writer, vfx jobs, cg jobs, vfx, animator jobs, cgi, Industrial Light & Magic hiring, Industrial Light & Magic jobs, ILM, 3d, 3d jobs, Animation, Animation Jobs, 3D, 3D Jobs, CG jobs, Industrial Light & Magic Recruiting, Industrial Light & Magic Recruiting Digital Production Supervisor, Industrial Light & Magic Recruiting Layout / Matchmove Artist, Industrial Light & Magic Recruiting Shader writer