Industrial Light & Magic Recruiting Lighting Supervisor, Layout / Matchmove Artist, Senior 3D Generalist & Rigid Body Simulation Artist
Company: Industrial Light & Magic Singapore
Join us for the busiest time in ILM’s history! This round of shows we will be working on Warcraft, Avengers 2, Jurassic Park 4, and Star Wars Episode 7 to name a few. ILM Singapore will be a major contributor on these projects (and more). Don’t miss out on the chance to be a part of it while also getting the opportunity to experience all that Asia has to offer!
The Lighting TD Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of Lighting TD’s and Leads to create direct and reflecting lighting and shadows that meet creative direction and has shared accountability for the management and deliverables of the Lighting department. Research, develop, and implement techniques when necessary.
• Quality and artistic supervision of lighting with input from VFX Supervisor
• Designs, implements and critiques generic lighting and compositing to help facilitate the creative “look” of the project
• Determines the need and extent of mattes, paintings, effects and shaders for digitally composited shots.
• Regularly interacting with the Producer, and Director to understand desired look as it relates to lighting for the production.
• Deliver final shots to production and ensure final technical check is complete.
• Tracking lighting continuity within sequences.
• Participates as a supervising team member in determining various design solutions; efficiency improvements and provides artistic feedback on a shot and sequence level to other team members of the production.
• Coaches and guides the team of Lighting TD’s to execute quality performance for the project.
• Partners with Artist Management to guide artists’ overall professional development, providing performance feedback, mentoring, assist with resolving performance issues and maintaining positive morale amongst the crew.
• Attend all relevant meetings to promote effective communication throughout the production team.
• Actively participates in the recruiting and staffing of the lighting team – assesses the work of prospective candidates for the hiring process and works with Artist Management on hiring decisions.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics or equivalent work experience.
• Relevant understanding of color theory, composition, lighting, aesthetics and how these apply to lighting and rendering in 3D
• 6+ year’s production experience with experience in a leadership role on a VFX film or CG animated project
• Strong working knowledge of various software platforms including Maya, Shake, Nuke, or any other high end CG or compositing software.
• Strong working knowledge of Linux, Python and shell scripting required.
• Look development and/or shader writing preferred
• Ability to plan and execute complex 3D lighting scenes including working with layers and passes, doing complex comps and optimizing scenes and renders
• Some photography experience a plus (understanding of composition, photography terms like depth of field, FOV, aperture, exposure, dynamic range)
• Highly proficient skills in technical problem solving.
• Strong communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal)
Layout / Matchmove Artist
Company: Industrial Light & Magic
Location: Letterman Digital Arts Center
City: San Francisco
Matchmoving is the replication of the real set, camera and camera move within the computer for later use by animators and technical directors. Each shot in which 3D computer graphics are to be added begins with a matchmove. In the CG Layout process, Camera Matchmoves and original CG camera moves are integrated to create the framework of each Sequence. Often this includes manipulating both 2d and 3d elements, while maintaining accurate camera perspective. In some cases a sequence might be entirely Computer Generated with no live action background elements.
Converts background plates to various formats to use with specific software to create digital motion files that match the plate photography. This includes animating any live action character or relative object in the scene.
Generate 2D Compositing elements, while maintaining the accuracy of camera perspective.
Model the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for Animators and Technical Directors.
Light, render and composite files with the background to judge the move.
Originate entirely CG camera animation.
Work with the CG Supervisor and Project Manager when applicable to estimate project schedules in terms of matchmove staffing needs and makes recommendations in the adjustments to the schedules as necessary.
Team acts as a central hub for all shot preparation to ensure continuity and camera accuracy in CG Elements.
Under the direction of the project Supervisors, the Matchmover will setup the technical and aesthetic approaches of the matchmove work for a shot, sequence, or even an entire aspect of a show.
Based on project size, and the nature of the work, the Matchmover may be asked to perform Lead Matchmove duties including, providing leadership, guidance and direction to the matchmove team.
Maintain an expert level of knowledge about current developments in matchmove tools for computer graphics, especially in areas that relate to the film industry.
Ability to reproduce exact camera moves within a computer environment.
Understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives.
Typically has experience as an artist, animator or camera operator.
Advanced knowledge of UNIX, Softimage, Maya and/or XSI.
Must have a willingness to learn new tools, proven ability to be detail-oriented and to work efficiently within a production environment.
Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines.
Good written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills.
Experience in gathering information on location for Matchmovers.
Uses a computer 80% of work time.
Senior 3D Generalist
Company: Industrial Light & Magic
Location: Letterman Digital Arts Center
City: San Francisco
The 3D Generalist demonstrates a strong base of knowledge in 3D Computer Generated Imagery Creation. Successful candidates will display a high degree of proficiency in some and a varied skill level across most of the areas of model, texture, shading/look development, basic hard surface animation and FX simulation as well as the ability to composite their own work. The 3D Generalist will work both individually and within a team, with tasks ranging from completing everything on a small number of shots to working on specific tasks within a larger body of work.
Senior 3D Generalists will also demonstrate the ability to break down complex VFX shot work into achievable workflows using a variety of off-the-shelf plug-ins and scripts. As such, a strong technical background with the ability to modify and/or create scripts to develop workflows is key to their success.
Successful candidates can model, texture, shade, light, look development and composite CG images or shots, however candidates will be considered if they demonstrate themselves to be exceptional in only one area, as long as they have some experience in all others and are willing to learn.
• Lead creation of outstanding artwork within a shot, using various software programs
• Participates as a team member in determining various aesthetic solutions
• Uses artistic and technical skills to work on all aspects of CG images or shots
• May train, mentor or supervise the work of entry, mid and mid-high level generalist artists at the discretion of the Department Supervisor
• Maintain or exceed a consistent level of productivity while meeting deadlines and producing high quality work
• Source suitable reference materials for required assets
• Attend dailies and participate in creative problem solving
Education / Experience:
– Degree or 5-8 years relevant experience (professional OR amateur) in one or more of the following fields: Computer Graphics, Fine Arts, Design or Photography Required
Skills / Competencies:
– Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing
– Proven artistic ability in a non-CG field (impressive portfolio of figure drawing, landscape, animals, painting, composition, perspective, etc.)
– High level of problem solving or creative thinking skills
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
– Fluent in Photoshop
– Fluent in 3dsmax, Maya or similar
– Fluent in Vray or MRay or similar ray trace renderer
– Comparable software experience considered
Vancouver Rigid Body Simulation Artist
Company: Industrial Light & Magic Vancouver
Location: Offsite Van
State: British Columbia
Salary/Hourly: Salaried with Premium Pay
Simulation artists are responsible for simulating rigid bodies. Experience with Houdini a plus. 3-5+ years production experience or feature film experience with effects simulation work required. Demo reel required. Artist will set up and run rigid body simulations as well as complete necessary corrective work before hand-off to render.
Set up and run rigid body simulations.
Create and fracture geometry for use in rigid body simulations.
Final corrective shape work as needed.
Ability to create advanced Houdini rigid body simulation and fracture setups that are user friendly for junior simulation artists a plus.
At least 3 years work experience required in 3D CGI for digital animation, visual effects or producing rigid body simulations for feature film.
Proficiency with Linux is required.
Expertise with Maya required.
Experience with C++, Mel, Python, or other scripting languages a plus.
Feature Film experience required.
Experience in corrective sculpting.
A demo reel demonstrating artistic and technical ability is required for this role.
Apply here:- www.lucasfilm.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=5564&CurrentPage=3
Industrial Light & Magic Recruiting Lighting Supervisor, Layout / Matchmove Artist, Senior 3D Generalist & Rigid Body Simulation Artist , Industrial Light & Magic San Francisco Recruiting, vfx jobs, cg jobs, 3d jobs, vfx, animator jobs, jobs, cgi, Industrial Light & Magic hiring, Industrial Light & Magic jobs, ILM, ILM jobs, 3d, 3d jobs, Lighting Supervisor, Layout / Matchmove Artist, Senior 3D Generalist, VANCOUVER Rigid Body Simulation Artist