Looking for Head of FX — Oriental DreamWorks(Shanghai, China)
The Head of FX is responsible for creating the necessary look as designed by the Director(s), VFX Supervisor, and Production Designer(s) within budget parameters for a particular sequence and to identify all effects in a sequence. The head of FX should demonstrate a mastery of the toolset, techniques, and workflow for FX development to be able to effectively supervise the FX development team technically and artistically.
· May be required to do hands on development and/or shot work.
· Actively seek out and understand the Directors’ vision for a film.
· In collaboration with the Production Supervisor, ensure on time delivery of effects elements within established production schedule. If creative appetite is too large, then need to present ideas and suggest creative alternatives. Consistently look for a more efficient way of doing an effect (i.e. reuse of an effect).
· Responsible for creating the necessary look as designed by the Director(s), VFX Supervisor, and Production Designer(s) within budget parameters for a particular sequence.
· Work with Production Supervisor in designing production schedule; manage progress and delivery of effects elements based on production schedule milestones (i.e. start of motion, start & end of key shot lighting, start of production lighting, and final lighting delivery). Offer suggestions on how to achieve FX in the movie within the man weeks allotted in the budget.
· Bid effects in each sequence. Collaborate with Production Supervisor regarding progress and setbacks of FX Animators as it relates to the original effects bid. Appropriately elevate concerns to VFX Supervisor and Prod Mgr.
· State potential costs or schedule implications when receiving comments on effect elements relative to delivery dates.
· Present effects in daily walkthroughs to VFX Supervisor or to Directors in FX Dailies. Ensure creative direction from VFX Supervisor and Directors to the crew are heard and clarified.
· Assess and determine the need for developing a new system or use existing system. Supervise development to ensure delivery of FX element.
· Manage process of integrating effects elements into shots and sequences: evaluate technical process for each element/system and communicate steps for shot integration to production management; coordinate technical aspects of integration with Lighting Sequence Supervisors and/or other department leads; and oversee FX Animators’ interdepartmental communication related to effects integration.
· Facilitate interdepartmental communication, dependencies, and technical problem solving related to FX production. Anticipate production problems. Collaborate with other department peers to identify solutions to production issues.
· Perform daily one-on-one rounds with FX Animators: critique work and assist with technical problem solving, and determine when effects are ready for review with VFX Supervisor.
· Develop/oversee any new technology required to meet the specific creative and technical needs of the show.
· Work with TDs, R&D, Production Engineering and Production Management to improve and evolve the production pipeline and methodologies.
· Communicate to R&D, Engineering or VFX Supervisor requests for new FX tools and improvements to existing FX tools.
· Participate in Technology, Heads of FX meetings and other technology meetings as required to help evolve the toolset towards studio objectives.
· Appropriately elevate issues and solutions to Production Management effectively.
· Is able to meet or exceed the creative goals of the department.
· Work closely with the Production Supervisors in the management of the department and to create the schedule and ensure schedules and deliverables are met for both shots and sequences. Supervises FX Leads and FX Animators.
· Work with the Production Supervisor on casting shots to FX Animators.
· Responsible for improving the performance of artists on the team. Mentor artists to provide guidance, experience and insight. Involved in trying to resolve performance related issues.
· Responsible with Production Supervisor for maintaining crew morale. Foster good working atmosphere and ethics.
· Deliver reviews with Production Supervisor to crew members; help manage career growth of staff; provide recommendations for promotions.
· Work with management in the casting and staffing of talent on the show.
· Help with recruiting and perform interviews. Ensure that FX new hires are provided the necessary training.
· Responsible for participation in the unification and initiatives for the studio.
· Facilitate meetings with artists to keep the crew informed on show changes and requirements.
· Ensure open lines of communication with other departments and department heads.
· 10+ years of experience including production experience in feature film animation
· Strong working knowledge in Houdini
· Proven Leadership experience
· Experience building new pipelines.
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Please email your resume and any other supporting materials to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this position. Thank you!
Looking for Head of FX — Oriental DreamWorks(Shanghai, China), Oriental DreamWorks, 3d jobs, Animation jobs, DreamWorks, Oriental DreamWorks Animation, hiring, job, jobs, Recruiting, Recruitment, vfx jobs, video game jobs, Visual Effects Jobs, Animator jobs, Animator, 3d animator jobs, 3D Animator, 3d animation job, Oriental DreamWorks jobs, Oriental DreamWorks job, Oriental DreamWorks career