Rigging Lead – Digital Domain Vancouver
Company: Digital Domain Vancouver
Location: Vancouver (Canada)JOB DESCRIPTION
Purpose of the job:
The Rigging Lead is responsible for delivering a variety of character rigs into production and oversees a team
of riggers on either feature or commercial projects. The Rigging Lead’s primary goals are to ensure timely
production of rigged assets, assign tasks to the rigging team and keep production management informed of
progress and potential roadblocks. In addition, the Rigging Lead is expected to collaborate and consult with
DD’s Rigging Department and other department Leads to ensure the rigs are properly incorporated into the
existing character pipeline.
• Work with production management to prioritize tasks and meet project milestones.
• Identify technical challenges and work with R&D to design and evaluate new techniques.
• Lead a team of riggers / character TD’s to produce creature, hero, digital double, vehicle and prop
• Manage performance of the project’s rigging team; providing timely feedback to artists and
management. Mentor individual artists to develop and expand their rigging skill set.
• Design and maintain tools and procedures for a variety of departments (namely Rigging, Modeling,
LookDev and Animation) to help speed up the character creation process.
• Utilize and extend DD’s existing Python-based toolset for creating animation controls and
• Work closely with the Modeling and Animation Departments to ensure adequate rig performance,
including advising on model LODs and troubleshooting rigs in animation.
Education and/or Experience Required:
• Degree in computer science, art, animation, engineering, or equivalent experience that would equal
that level of professionalism, problem solving and analytical skills.
• 2+ years experience in a leadership role, rigging characters in a Maya production environment. PLUS
Minimum 5 years experience with production-level character rigging, scripting and tool development.
• In-depth knowledge of Maya’s referencing pipeline and rigging toolset, including: skeleton
placement, advanced skinning techniques, IK/FK/space setup, corrective blendShape workflow,
expressions, utility nodes, Maya deformers and custom plugins.
• Production experience with nucleus, mayaMuscle and rigid body/procedural dynamics.
• Strong comprehension of anatomy and articulation (human and creature mechanics).
• Keen artistic eye to drive the look of realistic and appealing surface deformations.
• Robust knowledge of Python scripting including object oriented programming.
• C++/python-scripted plugin development and PyQT GUI design experience desired.
• Solid modeling and animation skills including polygonal mesh flow, texture displacements, and
physically accurate motion.
• Working knowledge of linux, linear algebra, texture/UV layout & compositing.
• Demonstrate leadership qualities in communication, project management and team organization.
• Passion for creating convincing digital characters a must!
Working Conditions and Environment/Physical Demands:
• Office working environment.
• Hours for this position are based on normal working hours but will require extra hours pending
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed
by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated
with it. Digital Domain Vancouver management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities
to meet business and organizational needs.
Apply here:- http://careers.digitaldomain.com/application.php?job_id=13_2_0606
Rigging Lead – Digital Domain Vancouver, Digital Domain, Digital Domain Hiring, Digital Domain job, Digital Domain Recruiting, Digital Domain Recruiting Compositing Supervisor Nuke, Digital Domain Studios, hiring, job, jobs, Recruiting, Recruitment, vfx jobs, video game jobs