Position: Senior Systems Engineer (UNIX)
Sony Pictures Imageworks Canada, an industry leading Visual Effects and Animation studio located in Vancouver, is seeking Senior Systems Engineers. Sony Pictures Imageworks produces high-end visual effects for movies, such as the the Amazing Spider-Man 2, Edge of Tomorrow, and Oz the Great and Powerful. The company’s work has been recognized with numerous awards and nominations, including the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects for Spider-Man 2.
Systems Engineering is responsible for first- and second-level support of 1,000+ users in a dynamic, high-performance production environment. The job demands astute and critical thinking coupled with Linux systems engineering to develop solutions for a unique industry combining high performance computing with digital artistry and storytelling. You will participate in projects utilizing new technologies in the areas of large-scale systems administration and engineering including building, configuring, installing, deploying and supporting workstations, servers and large scale storage systems. We are building a high performance global digital workflow for visual effects and animation production and this is a great opportunity to work on technically challenging projects in a very creative work environment comprised of talented engineers and artists.
- Installation, deployment and maintenance of hardware, operating systems and software.
- Initiation of and participation in departmental and site-wide engineering projects.
- Specification, documentation and communication of requirements for engineering tasks across the enterprise.
- Technical assistance to a wide range of end users in a customer-service oriented organization.
- Mentoring to and advice on best practices for Systems Engineering personnel throughout the department.
- After hours, holiday and weekend support on-call 24/7 as scheduled in rotation with other engineers.
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written. This includes the ability to provide thorough written documentation.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to perform as an individual and on a team.
- Scripting and programming abilities that maximize efficiency in daily tasks.
- Self-guided triage and follow-through skills to best respond to assigned duties.
Education, Skills & Certifications:
- Degree in Computer Science or in a related field. Significant industry experience may be substituted.
- Seven years of UNIX/Linux experience in a production environment.
- Four to six years experience in a large, high-performance technical computing site.
- Three years experience in installation, deployment and maintenance of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 workstations and servers.
- Experience in supporting mission-critical systems to ensure high availability.
- Programming ability in either of Tk or Perl, and the ability to write small C programs.
- Extensive networking experience with TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, LDAP and other directory services, used across local and wide-area/metro-area networks of varying topologies.
- Hands-on experience with large-scale backup solutions and storage technologies.
- Direct experience with multi-terabyte Netapp (or other) SAN installations is a plus.
To apply please send a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sony Imageworks Vancouver seeks Senior Systems Engineer, Sony Imageworks Vancouver Hiring Senior Systems Engineer, 3d jobs, Animation jobs, hiring, job, jobs, Recruiting, Recruitment, vfx jobs, video game jobs, Visual Effects Jobs, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Vancouver, cg jobs, Sony imageworks, sony pictures imageworks vancouver jobs, Sony Imageworks Jobs, Sony imageworks Canada jobs, Sony imageworks vancouver jobs, Sony imageworks Studios is Hiring, Sony Imageworks is recruiting, Sony imageworks Recruitment, visual effect Jobs, gaming jobs, film jobs, movie jobs, artist jobs, 3d artist jobs, vfx artist jobs, Imageworks, Imageworks jobs, Senior Systems Engineer