Systems Engineer, Prime Focus Vancouver
Prime Focus World is a global entertainment services company providing visual effects and stereo 3D conversion to major studios and film-makers around the world.
From Hollywood to Bollywood and points in between, Prime Focus is recognized as a pre-eminent source of creative and technical services to the global entertainment industry. Top movie makers rely on Prime Focus to deliver the artistry, technology and global infrastructure required to efficiently and cost-effectively convert 2D material into dazzling 3D.
Job Title: Systems Engineer
Reports To: Director of Technical Operations, Vancouver
The position is as part of an engineering team designing, installing and maintaining a large, multinational network of Linux (CentOS), Windows and Mac workstations and servers. The job ranges all the way from helpdesk to rebuilding kernel modules and implementing international network management tools.
As a member of the team primarily supporting our Vancouver office you’ll be expected to quickly solve problems, build systems to prevent them happening in the first place and implement tech that works well in response to rapidly changing requirements.
Areas of Responsibility:
– Although not an entry-level position, helpdesk is part of the job.
– Server and workstation builds, and maintaining configuration for those builds (currently Puppet).
– Network installs of third party apps/plugins and assisting the development team with integrating them into the existing workflow.
– Creation/maintenance of monitoring systems and maintenance scripts.
– Hardware builds: everything from basic workstations to LAN/WAN setups and clustered filesystems.
– This is always here, but it is so important: excellent communication. You *must* be able to convey your point in a meeting, keep the rest of the team informed on your chunk of the work and explain complex systems and problems to the layman.
– Good Linux skills- not just installing Ubuntu at home. You should know how to rebuild an rpm. You should know what Puppet is, and have used it (or something similar). ifcfg-eth0 shouldn’t be a random combination of letters and numbers to you and you need to know where the logs are.
– You should be comfortable with NAS, NFS, CIFS, DHCP, LDAP, etc.
– Good cross-OS skills. As mentioned above, we use Windows, Linux and Mac. You should be comfortable on all of them, although this particular role is primarily Linux.
– Work well when issues are pulling you in every direction. You should be able to prioritise, keep your cool and be able to work efficiently under pressure.
– Excellent problem solving skills. A lot of the issues we face are not simple. If you can provide examples from your past where you’ve had to break down a large problem in order to tackle it, that will be to your advantage.
– You’ve got to be able to lift a big server.
• Location: Vancouver, Canada
• Duration: Full-time, indefinite term basis
• Start: Immediate
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Please note only those who closely match our requirements will be contacted