ToonBox Entertainment Recruiting Art Designer, Graphic Artist, FX Supervisor & Lead Animator
Position: Art Designer
Reports to: Art Director
Position Description and Responsibilities:
To collaborate with the Art Director / Director to explore and develop colour background design as required by production or the studio
To present the visual direction of colour and/or texture for environments / sets, and props as a means to provide the roadmap for the surfacing and lighting/compositing teams during visual development, pre-production, and production while meeting the highest of quality, aesthetically and technically
To listen to the Art Director/ Director’s description/s / launch of sequences and shots and create quality visual / colour backgrounds paintings to capture both the activity and the emotion of the scene(s)
To partner with Art Director (CG Supervisor and Technical Team, if required) to help ensure aesthetic goals are met in the most efficient manner;
To revise, edit and modify work as indicated by the Art Director;
To work collaboratively with other departments to support their needs as determined by the Art Director or Creative Director or Production Designer;
To maintain awareness of the broader show needs as they relate to aspects of art and design and related revisions;
To research and collate suitable reference material from various sources for asset and shot production;
To produce concept art, schematics, layouts, matte paintings as deemed necessary;
To provide creative input where appropriate;
To work in adherence to budget and schedule constraints while maintaining the show’s overall look and mood via organising and managing timelines to ensure colour design is cast, completed and submitted on time;
To ensure file management and archiving of art work is maintained throughout the course of production;
To troubleshoot creative and technical issues as they arise as requested by Art Director.
To assist in other art department / production needs as needs must.
Required Skills and Experience
3- 5 years’ experience in feature films creating photorealistic and stylized environments
Degree in Art, industrial design or painting preferred
Knowledge of Photoshop must
Understanding of compositing software desired – Nuke
Strong knowledge of advanced matte painting techniques including color space, digital paint techniques and Photoshop file management
Good knowledge and ability with perspective, value matching, and motion
Good knowledge of camera focal lengths and composition
Knowledge of film resolution and aspect rations
Strong time management in relation to deadlines
Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Location: Toronto, ON
Apply here:- https://toonboxcareers.hiringthing.com/job/42955/art-designer
Graphic Artist (Lighting/Comp)
Position: Graphic Artist (Lighting/Comp)
Reports to: Lighting Supervisor
· To collaborate within a team environment focusing on the lighting and compositing of shots during visual development, pre-production, and production while meeting the highest of quality, aesthetically and technically, on the studio’s CG Productions;
· To light and composite shots for feature film production as well as other projects in development perestablished guidelines and timelines;
· To identify potential lighting issues with regard towards scheduled deadlines;
· To help troubleshoot and debug lighting/compositing issues as they arise over the course of visual development, pre-production, or production to ensure shot quota is met;
· To ensure shots meet established render requirements;
· To follow file management specifications provided;
· To partner with Art Director, CG Supervisor, Lead Lighter/Compositor, and Technical Team to help ensure aesthetic goals are met in the most efficient manner;
· To spot, report, and communicate creative and technical issues as they arise via sharing knowledge or solutions with team members;
· To assist other team members within the Lighting/Composite Department as needs arise;
· To work collaboratively with other departments such as Technology, Texturing, VFX;
· To work in other asset/shot departments and assist with studio milestones and targets as considered appropriate via skill set and deemed necessary by production;
· To maintain awareness of the broader show needs as they relate to the Lighting and Compositing Department (schedule, complexity of setups, etc.).
Required Skills and Experience:
· 3+ years’ experience as a Lighting Artist
· CG Feature film experience is preferred but not essential
· Skilled at using Maya + Nuke + 3Delight (or Prman).
· Communication and collaboration skills. Able to understand and take direction; able to clearly explain technical and aesthetic issues.
· Resourceful: able to solve problems and find workarounds as appropriate.
· Organized: able to keep track of own work and that of your team.
· Shotgun knowledge preferable
Location: Toronto, ON
Apply here:- https://toonboxcareers.hiringthing.com/job/42199/graphic-artist-lighting-comp
Position: FX Supervisor
Reports to: Producer & CG Supervisor
The FX Supervisor, under the guidance of the CG Supervisor and Director, is charged with the responsibility of guiding the FX crew to deliver the desired looks and behaviors of visual effects in a CG feature film via use of available software within the agreed upon pipeline. The FX Supervisor determines the technical approaches needed to achieve these effects, and is expected to task FX artists with their execution based on the array of skillsets present within the team.
The FX Supervisor functions as a principal Liaison between the crew of FX artists and the senior creative partnership of the CG Supervisor and Director. The FX Supervisor reviews and refines production estimates of his artists, provides schedules to the CG supervisor and Production Management, and regularly monitors progress of all work within his department. The FX Supervisor also remains aware of parallel efforts that are underway (such as pipeline development or asset creation) in other teams that are expected to directly impact the FX department’s production progress.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
· Working with the CG Supervisor to identify and prioritize the effects in the film as well as communicate to outside departments dependencies that impact the FX department’s progress.
· Working with the Pipeline Supervisor to establish functionality specifications for the production infrastructure to allow the successful delivery of assets into and out of the FX department.
· Working with the CG Supervisor and Production Management to maintain clear and realistic expectations of deliverables, and to define digital asset and production software needs of the FX crew.
· Maintaining an extremely good visual sense of correct dynamic behaviours, being able to recognize technical and/or simulation problems and identifying what needs to be done in order to apply appropriate fixes.
· Establishing optimal workflows within the FX team, and assessing the work of FX artists to ensure that the approaches and results are ideal.
· Analyzing script breakdowns to identify and report on FX complexity levels in upcoming productions.
· Remaining abreast of new and emerging technologies as well as remaining fully informed about industry techniques in order to be able to recommend third-party applications to be used on ToonBox productions, achieve aesthetic targets, and troubleshoot and identify production issues.
· Writing and reviewing user and technical documentation relating to FX workflows and production practices, as well as technical specifications for pipeline and tool software developers.
· Communicating clearly and promptly with the CG Supervisor, Production Management, colleagues in other departments, and internally with the FX crew.
· Mentoring, providing direction, and preparing new hire orientations for FX Artists.
· Assisting with HR tasks such as recruiting and performance evaluations.
· Performing shot work and executing fixes as required during production.
· Observance of short turnaround times. Being able to produce robust prototypes quickly and effectively is critical.
· May also be called upon to do shot work when necessary during visual development or during intensive production periods.
· Willing to travel occasionally and help coordinate/oversee work in foreign partnering studios.
· A minimum of 6 (six) years of CG FX production experience.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent job experience.
· Proven experience as an expert user of Houdini and Maya.
· Proficiency in technical issues surrounding all aspects of 3D production, in particular the simulation of particles, rigid and soft-bodies, fluids, cloth, and hair.
· Programming experience in Python, MEL, VEX, Hscript, C++, PyQt or others.
· Solid experience with different render engines preferably 3Delight/Renderman.
· Solid experience with Nuke, Fusion, Shake or other compositing software.
· Experience building and supporting digital assets (HDAs, Houdini Engine).
· Experience in Maya’s API and Houdini’s HDK is a definite plus.
· Familiarity with the AlembicIO, OpenVDB data formats is a plus.
· Experience with Tractor, Deadline, Qube or other farm management software.
· Solid investigative problem solving and debugging abilities.
· Very strong leadership, organizational and project management skills.
· A proven ability to clearly communicate creative and technical ideas.
· A solid aesthetic sense; a consistent, finely tuned creative eye that can recognize, direct and execute outstanding, coherent, well-integrated visual effects.
· A professional history of collaboration on projects with teams of varied sizes and disciplines.
· Articulate and timely communication skills are essential.
Location: Crowd / VFX Department in Toronto, ON
Apply here:- https://toonboxcareers.hiringthing.com/job/41722/fx-supervisor
Position: Lead Animator
Reports to: Animation Supervisor/Animation Director
Position Description and Responsibilities:
The Lead Animator is responsible for overseeing animation efforts related to the casting and blocking of shots, animation reviews/dailies and the delivery of approved and/or revised shots on time to meet weekly quota expectations for a given team(s) of animators, with varying levels of experience.
The Lead Animator is also expected to partner and collaborate with the Animation Director, CG Supervisor, and other department leads to ensure that assets, staging, camera work and character intent is fully understood prior to the onset of animation to ensure successful execution of animation by his/her team.
The Lead Animator is responsible for partnering with the Head of Animation/Animation Director in animation launches (which may include translating the storyboards and/or director’s launch of a sequence/shot from layout into animation) and reviews of character performances while overseeing his/her animation team to ensure that the motivation and acting adheres to the filmic language and goals established for the project as well as maintains a consistent style and coherent level of continuity – both visually and technically -throughout the duration of the production. He or she produces work (character animation) in a fast paced, CG environment using Maya and a suite of proprietary software for any studio projects.
All Directors, Supervisors, Leads and Artists, pending skill set, may be required to assist other asset/shot departments such as modeling, character finaling, fur finaling, lighting/composite with hands-on shot work. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
To collaborate with the Director/Director of Photography/Head of Animation/Animation Director/Lead Artists to explore and develop the visual storytelling, primarily that of acting, of any studio projects.
To listen to the director’s verbal description/launch of sequences and shots and realize character action/pacing/mood/cinematography in visual
To lead and proactively provide support to the animation team (inclusive of other animation leads) which includes troubleshooting and/or obtaining appropriate resolution to any aesthetic or technical issues as they arise to keep production moving
To create new and interesting ideas to capture both the activity and the emotional intent of the
To present and lead the visual direction of animated sequences via contributing to sequence production while concurrently overseeing a team of
To assist with recruitment of animation talent as deemed
To organize and manage timelines to ensure all sequences/shots are cast, completed and submitted on
To revise, edit and modify animation/shots as indicated by the director or creative
To implement various computer programs to enhance the visual presentation of ideas for the scene or for effectively capturing the director’s ideas for shots/sequences.
To assist with visual exploration, research, and/or creation of design (character/environments/props) as may be required to further foster the creative collaboration at the studio;
To maintain awareness of the broader show needs as they relate to aspects of art and design and related revisions which include, but are not limited, to
To work in adherence to budget and schedule constraints while maintaining continuity within the story, cinematography, aesthetics, and acting/mood.
To assist in training and mentoring of Entry Level artists as
To familiarize and test production pipeline tools, work-flow and processes in support of studio projects and pipeline
To ensure quality control via verifying that all shots follow studio policies and guidelines prior to moving into next stage of
To maintain a diplomatic, positive attitude that fosters professional collaboration within the animation department as well as across the various
To work and collaborate with Technical Directors, Production Supervisors, CG/VFX Supervisors, and Production Engineering to maintain and further the production
Additional duties as requested.
Required Skills and Experience:
A strong working knowledge of 2D and 3D animation principles for both cameras and CG
A strong working knowledge of the principles of cinematic staging, blocking and camera
A very good working knowledge of Maya and Unix/Linux.
Excellent working knowledge of stereoscopic production
Must be able to work in a collaborative environment and take direction easily and be willing to participate; as a member of a team as well as to work independently as
Proven leadership skills within an Animation Department on animated feature
Bachelor’s degree in Animation, Film, and Art, relevant field or equivalent experience
10 plus years of (CG) feature film experience as an animator preferred.
Worked on 2-3 high-end, feature quality productions.
Location: Animation Department in Toronto, ON
Apply here:- https://toonboxcareers.hiringthing.com/job/39085/lead-animator
ToonBox Entertainment Recruiting Art Designer, Graphic Artist, FX Supervisor & Lead Animator, ToonBox Entertainment, ToonBox Entertainment Vfx, ToonBox Entertainment hiring, ToonBox Entertainment Studio, ToonBox Entertainment Jobs, Animation Jobs, Vfx Jobs, CG Jobs, 3D Jobs, Video Game Jobs, Recruiting, Recruitment, CG, CGI, Jobs, ToonBox Entertainment Recruiting, ToonBox Entertainment Recruiting Art Designer, ToonBox Entertainment Recruiting Graphic Artist, ToonBox Entertainment Recruiting FX Supervisor, ToonBox Entertainment Recruiting Lead Animator, Art Designer, Graphic Artist, FX Supervisor, Lead Animator