Wanted: Compositor – Nerd Corps Entertainment (Vancouver)
About the position:
The Compositor is an energetic and enthusiastic individual with strong compositing skills and experience in compositing for broadcast television or feature film production. The Compositor excels at creating high calibre dynamic and riveting Comps while at the same time meeting production deadlines.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Report regularly to the Visual Effects Lead informing him/her of any concerns or new developments
- Identify to the Visual Effects Lead problems that could potentially present with respect to timelines and delivery schedules
- Respect and adapt to the Nerd Corps system of data storage and retrieval through the use of the in-house software
- Make sure that all work done is accounted for and entered in the tracking system (SPARCX)
- Acts as a resource to Animators for layout/lighting/background questions
- Helps director watch for render errors/missing composite elements, such as gel layers, missing glows, etc
- Communicate to Animators about elements that may be needed or used for their sequences
- Watch animatics of his/her episode for errors & shots missing composites, stay current with the show and what stage of production it is at
- Balance the creative needs, technical resources and time available
- Composite shots for the show in a timely manner and try to get the most number of shots done in the time available
- Make sure the schedule is being followed and that the director is getting compositing shots ready so there’s always work to be done. If director is informed of shortage of shots and there is still not enough work, inform the Visual Effects Lead so he/she can deal with it.
- Follow the creative direction of the production as communicated by the Visual Effects Lead.
- Work with the senior staff of the visual effects team to learn as much as possible about the methods and software used when compositing
Qualifications and competencies:
- Intermediate understanding of 3D texturing, Modeling and Lighting
- Solid understanding of compositing methods
- Solid knowledge of SoftImage XSI; in particular XSI Render Tree
- Creative with timing and exceptional eyes on color
- Work well within the team
- Able to take directions and work independently
- Able to communicate creative and technical thoughts and ideas
- Able to multi-task and prioritize
- Good at improvising and problem solving
- Thrive in a high pressure, deadline oriented environment
- Enjoy working in team atmosphere
- Degree/diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience an asset
Nerd Corps is one of the largest animation studios in Canada boasting a diverse portfolio of award-winning original properties such as Slugterra, League of Super Evil, Storm Hawks and Rated A for Awesome. But we’re more than just an animation studio. We build stories, worlds, and experiences for kids that cut across platforms from television to online, games, toys, mobile—wherever kids are spending time. We handle all stages of our process in-house, including IP creation and development, animation production, finance, sales and distribution, licensing and consumer products, and interactive development. We’re a rarity in the industry, and are looking for the best talent to join our team!
We would like to convey our sincere thanks to all those who express interest in being a part of the Nerd Corps team. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive, we may be unable to reply to all applicants. If we feel that you may be a good match for one of our current openings you will be contacted.
Please email your resume and cover letter explaining why you feel you would be a great fit:
(Please ensure that you state the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.)