Wanted: VFX Artist – Nerd Corps Entertainment (Vancouver)
Wanted: VFX Artist
About the position:
The VFX Artist is an energetic and enthusiastic individual with strong VFX skills and experience in visual effects for broadcast television or feature film production. The VFX Artist excels at creating high calibre dynamic and riveting visual effects while at the same time meeting production deadlines.
They follow the creative direction of the production from an FX standpoint and report regularly to the Visual Effects Supervisor informing them of any concerns or new developments.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Construct creative solutions for recurring visual effects in TV production.
- Be aware of what is happening on the team at all times and identify problems to the Lead.
- Train and mentor new Effects Animators and compositors who are placed on the crew and explain production methods.
- Create complex effects sequences as assigned by the Lead/Director.
- Identify to the Visual Effects Lead problems that could potentially affect timelines and delivery schedules.
- Respect and adapt to the Nerd Corps system of data storage and retrieval through the use of the in-house software.
- Balance the creative needs and technical resources available.
- Ensure that all production deadlines are met while providing work at a quality level in keeping with production requirements.
- Carry out duties in a professional and positive manner.
- Create and deliver FX for the series in a timely manner.
- Train the junior staff and make sure they are working using the proper methods.
- Create and deliver show specific FX in a timely manner.
Qualifications and competencies:
- Able to multi-task and prioritize.
- Intermediate understanding of 3D texturing, modeling and lighting.
- Advanced understanding of compositing.
- Advanced knowledge of XSI.
- Advanced knowledge of particle systems.
- Creative with timing and color.
- Work well in a team atmosphere.
- Able to take directions and work independently.
- Very good at improvising and problem solving.
- Good on being able to predict upcoming problems with production and communicating those problems/concerns to the Visual Effects Lead.
- Good communication skills.
- Thrive in a high pressure, deadline oriented environment.
- Degree/diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience an asset.
- Experience as an FX Animator or equivalent experience.
Nerd Corps is one of the largest animation studios in Canada boasting a diverse portfolio of award-winning original properties such as Slugterra, League of Super Evil, Storm Hawks and Rated A for Awesome. But we’re more than just an animation studio. We build stories, worlds, and experiences for kids that cut across platforms from television to online, games, toys, mobile—wherever kids are spending time. We handle all stages of our process in-house, including IP creation and development, animation production, finance, sales and distribution, licensing and consumer products, and interactive development. We’re a rarity in the industry, and are looking for the best talent to join our team!
We would like to convey our sincere thanks to all those who express interest in being a part of the Nerd Corps team. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive, we may be unable to reply to all applicants. If we feel that you may be a good match for one of our current openings you will be contacted.
Please email your resume and cover letter explaining why you feel you would be a great fit:
(Please ensure that you state the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.)