Weta Digital Recruiting Systems Tools Developer
Systems Tools Developer
Weta Digital’s System Tools team develops the software that manages one of the most demanding data storage environments in VFX. Our systems safeguard storage reliability and performance for thousands of hosts across petabytes of data. They coordinate multiple storage tiers, are constantly available, and must handle the ever-increasing scale of our production processes.
We are currently working on an ambitious program to rebuild our core software from the ground up. In this role, you will be a key member of a small talented team that is committed to providing an architecture that will scale with the company. Our team works closely with system engineers, data resource managers, and pipeline developers – but our software is critical to the smooth functioning of the entire production pipeline.
As a System Tools developer, your responsibilities will include:
– contributing to a code base in Python, Erlang, and C
– designing and implementing sub-systems
– eliciting and understanding Weta’s storage software requirements
– developing tests and pushing forward on continuous improvement
– selecting and integrating open source libraries where appropriate
– monitoring and maintaining critical services
Some experience that would be useful would be:
– storage infrastructures: NFS, tape storage, HSMs, clustered filesystems, etc.
– programming in a Linux / Unix environment
– development in Python, Erlang, C, C++
– understanding of relational databases, document stores, and data warehousing
– monitoring and service discovery implementation – for example Nagios, Icinga, or Consul
– packaging, build, and deployment experience
– understanding and empathy for system administrators
– statistics, trends analysis, data visualisation
From time-to-time you may need to provide back-up to the team that maintains our legacy tools. However, we’re working to deprecate those tools as soon as we can.
We don’t expect you to come pre-packaged with all the experience you’ll need. We know that good developers have transferable skills. We’re mainly looking for aptitude and attitude. Our developers have had to teach themselves new things on the job and you will too. What we do want is a solid record of technical achievement, a demonstrable orientation toward teamwork, attention to detail, and curiosity. We like to get our software right the first time and we’re looking for that in you.
We’re also looking for critical thinking and leadership – we don’t just want to replace an existing system that is no longer fit for purpose. We’re working to make world class VFX storage software that exceeds our stakeholder needs and is better tailored to Weta than anything we can buy off the shelf.
If this sounds like you – we would love to hear from you! Please fill out our online questionnaire at www.wetafx.co.nz/jobs and send your resume through to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Weta Digital Recruiting Systems Tools Developer, Weta Digital, Weta Digital Vfx, Weta Digital Animation, Weta Digital hiring, Weta Digital jobs, Animation Jobs, Vfx Jobs, CG Jobs, 2D Jobs, 3D Jobs, Video Game Jobs, Software Jobs, Art Jobs, Recruiting, Recruitment, CG, CGI, Vfx, 2D, 3D, Animation, hiring, Jobs, Weta Digital Recruiting, Systems Tools Developer